Friday, September 5, 2014

My $5 or Less Foundation Steal

Purchased

Unlike yesterday's post featuring two luxury, curly-girl buys, today we're focussing on a budget friendly item — Maybelline Fit Me Foundation Liquid Face Makeup. This $5 steal is giving my department store foundations a run for their money.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't usually experiment with drugstore foundations. Why? First, you can rarely get a good color match without actually trying a foundation on. Seriously, have you ever nailed the color correctly by just looking at the bottle's shade? Second, their formulas have usually been heavy in consistency and not compatible with my finicky, sensitive skin. I prefer a very natural look with light, breathable coverage. I just have never found this type of product at the drugstore, so I stopped looking many years ago.

But Fit Me Foundation is a different beast. It's a light, gel formula that mimics your own skin. It's oil free, but very hydrating. It feels great on the skin and reminds me of my favorite tinted moisturizer not a foundation. As such, I don't have to worry about piling on my moisturizer before application. One caveat...if you have oily skin or live in a super humid environment, this product probably isn't for you.

I chose shade 110 Porcelain, which is the lightest one of their 18 shades. 115 may have worked, but I was afraid it would be too pink especially if it oxidized. 110 leans more yellow/warm in hue and appeared to be a better fit for my NC 15-20 skin. If you're paler than NC 15, you might be out of luck as this is lightest shade available. On the other end of the color spectrum, Fit Me seems offers new shades designed specifically for women of color. This might be a good option if you are challenged to find a darker shade of foundation. I know fair and dark colors are often trickier to find.

My only complaint is that it doesn't wear all day. I find that by late afternoon/early evening it starts fading. With that said, Fit Me does fade evenly at least. You're not left with awkward splotches of color and no color.

Over all...I'm quite impressed. If you have normal to dry skin and can find your skin's shade, this is a keeper!

Purchase info: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation Liquid Face Makeup is available at most mass retailers and drugstores. It typically retails for $5.00 or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...