Tuesday, March 12, 2013

In Pursuit of a New Foundation...

My skin is going through a crazy transition after moving to Northern California last month. Because of the added dryness and lower humidity in this region, I've revamped my skin care routine with more moisturizing products. Even so, my skin is still super parched and I'm finding that my favorite foundation, Chanel VITALUMIÈRE AQUA, is making problems worse. So...I've pulled the trigger on three different foundations to see if I could remedy the situation.

Why these three? I was trying to cast a wider net from my go-to foundation brands (Chanel, Trish, Laura Mercier), and these three products touted the following qualities I was looking for, including:
  • Light to medium coverage
  • Satin/non-matte finish, just not over-the-top dewy
  • Intended for normal to dry complexions
  • Long wearing
  • Readily available at my local Nordstrom or Sephora
  • Well reviewed by others with similar skin 
After test driving all three, here are my results...

 

YSL Touche Éclat Foundation SPF19

Overall, this foundation felt great on my skin, and I did not experience any breakouts. But it clearly did not impress me. First, the product did not provide light to medium coverage. Touche Éclat Foundation is definitely medium to full coverage. I don't need heavier coverage and I feel unnatural when I wear more foundation than I need. Second, the color match was simply off. The shade closest to my natural skin color was Beige Dore 10, which is a fair shade for yellow-based complexions. But it had so much yellow pigment that it literally stripped all color from my face and made me look paler than normal. Even with the addition of blush and bronzer, I looked sick!

 

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

This foundation was definitely sheerer in consistency. But I took two steps backwards by experiencing even more dryness. I have a hard time understanding why Sheer Glow is designed for normal to dry skin types as it sucked all the moisture out of my skin. The positives...a solid color match! The interesting thing is that I was color matched to Mont Blanc, which has slight pink tones in it. Normally, I prefer beige or yellow undertones, but this shade flattered my complexion quite well. In addition, Sheer Glow wore pretty well all day.

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Invisible Skin-Fusion Foundation

I will admit that this is my first experience with Guerlain, so my expectations were neither high or low. At the counter, the sales associate was trying to steer me towards one of their more moisturizing foundations, but it seemed super heavy duty and not for me. I held my ground and found my own color match (31 Ambre Pale), which was completely opposite of what was recommended (12 Rose Clair and 02 Beige Clair). Yes, I do know my own skin and I wanted to avoid making a big goof! The end result...a potential winner! Lingerie de Peau was light and airy and literally melted into my skin. The color was a nice balance of yellow and pink undertones. Best of all, it wore for 10+ hours without exposing patches of dryness.  I haven't test driven it as long as the other two, so I may need to update my results after another week or two. But for now, Lingerie de Peau is my pick!

What about you? What are your experiences with these three foundations? I'd love to hear your story! Drop me a line and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...