Friday, March 22, 2013

How to Up the Moisture Ante for Parched Skin

Purchased

Although the calendar says it spring, my face feels like it is mid-winter. I'll blame it on a new climate, less moisture in the air, water changes and my heater. Yep...that about sums it up!

But seriously, my face is having a hard time adjusting after we've moved to Northern California in early February. In the past month, I've had to drop holy grail moisturizers from my routine and experiment with other options.

One of the first changes was to find a richer moisturizer for night-time use that worked well for my sensitive skin. Interestingly enough, I ended up with two new-to-me product finds that I've been alternating. Here's what I'm using...

 

MyChelle Dermaceuticals Deep Repair Cream Unscented

Technically, I purchased this product right before we moved. I had a store rewards credit at Pharmaca that I needed to use and this product looked promising. Little did I know that it would be a serious skin saver for me.

Deep Repair Cream is a dry-skin moisturizer full of  nourishing shea butter and other skin nutrients, such as black tea ferment, vitamin E and peptides. It is designed to restore moisture levels while improving skin’s texture and youthfulness. It's also gluten free and vegan, if those qualities are important to you.

While it is a rich formula, I find it sinks in pretty quickly since it's a bit on the runnier side. Sometimes night creams are so rich that I worry about product transfer to my pillow cases. Not the case here! It's perfect. In fact, I'd consider using Deep Repair Cream during the day if I wasn't already happy with my moisturizer/sunscreen combo.

It's available at select spas, online retailers, natural food stores, and online. The product retails for $28.39

Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream

For those times when I needed even more moisture, I've incorporated Rose Day Cream into my day and night routines. Rose Day Cream is about as rich as you're going to find!

Rose Day Cream is a luxurious daily moisturizer that incorporates soothing rose ingredients and avocado oil to nurture and renew sensitive, dry and weather-damaged skin. I had several friends recommend it to me, so I took the plunge and purchased when my skin was at its driest point.

The product is significantly thicker in consistency than Deep Repair Cream, but I don't find it to be greasy on my skin. And although it's marketed as a "day cream" I find no reason why I can't use it at night especially since it does not contain any sunscreen.

It works well as an all-over moisturizer or as a spot treatment for those dry, flakey patches. I get those on my chin and cheeks. I've even applied a dab mid-day to my dry facial areas and it did not interfere with my makeup or make me look oily. As the months get warmer, I'll probably end up using Rose Day Cream for this type of usage.

Yes...Rose Day Cream does smell like roses. But the scent does not linger or drive me nuts. It's quite natural and is a very soothing.

It's available at select spas, online retailers, natural food stores, and online. The product retails for $42.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...