Monday, July 9, 2012

5 Tips for Banishing Bacne

Admit it...we don't like talking about acne. And worse yet is bacne — those ugly body bumps that make their guest appearance when you want to wear a sexy tank top or strapless dress. For 15+ years I've battled bacne and it has been utterly frustrating. Even with prescribed lotions and potions, I can't get a handle on this irritating skin annoyance.

But with some recent product additions and a new routine, I've made some serious progress on banishing by my bacne. Here's what's currently working for me.
  1. Shower right after working out. My gym is 10 minutes away from my home. If I leave promptly and shower immediately when I get home, I've significantly reduced the opportunity for bacne to take over. However, if I chat with a friend or run an errand on my way home, I tend to spot more spots!
  2. Use a body wash with 1% salicylic acid (Murad Acne Body Wash): Salicylic acid is a powerful ingredient for penetrating your pores to clear up acne and prevent new breakouts. However, one of my challenges was finding the correct percentage for my body. I've learned I can't go stronger than 1% or it will dry up my skin significantly and then cause more issues.
  3. Moisturize with 100% argan oil (Josie Maran Argan Oil): Common sense might tell you to skip any type of body moisturizer since it will make your skin more oily and block pores. Wrong! The right moisturizer will keep your skin balanced and help heal existing acne blemishes. Argan oil (100% only) seems to be the right moisturizer for me. It penetrates my skin quickly and alleviates the dry patches. If my skin is dry and itchy, I tend to want to scratch the affected area and this will only transmit bacteria (from my hands) to my back and start the bacne engine.
  4. Choose shampoos and conditioners carefully and selectively rotate in new products. I try to use hair products with few ingredients since it will allow me to more easily troubleshoot if there is a problem. One common trigger for me is sulfates (in shampoos) since they tend to very drying to my skin and cause irritation. Likewise, cocoa butter seems to be another bacne trigger. Overall I don't experiment too often with new shampoos and conditioners since they tend to easily upset my skin.
  5. Stick to hypoallergenic, perfume- and dye-free formula laundry detergents (All Free Clear). Several years ago I developed a severe skin allergy to my new laundry detergent. (It was a reformulation of the detergent I'd been using for 10+ years.) After two trips to the dermatologist's office and chronicling my foods and products used, we were able to link the allergy to the detergent. As soon as I switched products, the problem immediately went away. Going forward, I've now only use All Free Clear detergent. In addition, I add a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of white vinegar to every load of laundry. A white vinegar rinse will help to remove excess soap that may have not been rinsed from your clothes.
What about you? Do you have any tips and tricks for banishing bacne? Drop me a line and share your findings!

2 comments:

  1. i love you tips!! i am currently breaking out my back for no reason and i think mine might be my detergent too. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy...Bummer on the bacne. Hopefully the problem is your detergent as that is an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...