Monday, September 19, 2011

Heavenly Healing Hair Moisture: Josie Maran Argan Oil

Curly hair usually equals dry hair. It's just nature of the beast. To combat dryness, I use a combination of items — from conditioners (deep, rinse out, and leave in) and styling products to natural oils. With every new season, I also find that I have to play with the product mix or suffer the ugly consequences...breakage and/or frizz. Not pretty.

Late summer I started experimenting with pure 100% argan oil in my hair routine after receiving a generous GWP sample from Sephora. I've used jojoba oil in the past, but it's been a while since I've tried other kinds of oils. Why natural oils? They are better than synthetic moisturizers because they are absorbed into the hair, while synthetic silicon moisturizers lay on top of the hair, making it appear dirty.

One of my new favorites is Josie Maran Argan Oil. It's a lightweight 100% organic oil that is rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Before washing my hair, I've been pre-treating it once a week with one dropper full of oil. I rub the argan oil into my hands and then apply from roots to ends, while paying extra attention to my ends and other drier spots. I typically leave it in my hair for an hour or two and then wash out.

When my hair is dry, it is amazingly soft (but without flyaways) and super shiny. In fact, it almost looks like I've just had a veil of shine glaze added to my hair. And after an argan oil treatment, I've been able to go an extra day or two between washings. (And that means extra sleep for me!)

I've also tried adding a drop or two to my dry hair when I'm feeling like I need some extra moisture; however, I've had mixed results. It's hard to apply oil evenly to dry hair. But I will experiment more and see if I can find the right mix.

In addition to using Josie Maran Argan Oil as a hair treatment, you can apply for many areas including hydrating and nourishing skin as a daily moisturizer, skin treatment, and softening cuticles. It's gentle enough to use on all skin types and is believed to help with skin conditions including acne. But like anything, you need to experiment and see what works best for your individual skin and hair needs.

Purchase info: Josie Maran Argan Oil is available at Sephora and Josie Maran Cosmetics. Prices start at $14.00 for a 1/2 oz (at Sephora). I recommend starting with a smaller bottle to see if the product is right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...