Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Not Your Mother's Drugstore Mousse: Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Cream Mousse


Some of my worst childhood hair memories involve hair mousse and my mother. Sorry mom...but why did you suggest using the volume mousse when my hair was already the size of Texas?

Bottom line...it's been nearly 20 years since I used a can of drugstore hair mousse. Yes, I was that traumatized. In fact, hair mousse in general has never really worked for me. It usually poofs up my hair too much or makes it a sticky mess. I have better luck with a cocktail of products — a liquidy gel and curl cream. However, I will try anything once.

I've been reading great product reviews about Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Cream Mousse, and the gals on Makeupalley.com finally persuaded me to give it a whirl. And, oh how this product has won me over and replaced my curl cream!

Captivating Curls Cream Mousse has a completely different texture than typical mousse. Once squirted out of the can, I emulsify the product in my hands before applying to hair. This step is critical as it changes the mousse into a whipping cream consistency that is super luxurious and easy to apply. I then squeeze and scrunch the product from roots to ends. To ensure even application, I'll scrunch again with my microfiber towel (see review). I then wrap my hair in the towel for 20 minutes before going to bed. Likewise, you could blow dry instead of air drying.

To date, I've tried the mousse solo as well as with my hair gel. When used alone, my hair is super soft, shiny, and frizz free. I find that my curls are more wavy in texture than my typical tight ringlets. Also, I do have to reapply on the second day (to dry hair) or my curls are not very defined and almost too soft. For best results, I'm finding that I need to pair the mousse with my gel. (I scrunch in a dime size of gel first.) This way my curls are tighter and they hold up beyond day one. But either way, my hair is shiny and frizz free even during the warm humid summer months.

Note, I have not tried the mousse with a blow dryer, just air drying. My understanding is that some gals need this step for better curl definition.

After several weeks of use, Captivating Curls Cream Mousse is now a staple in my hair routine and replacing my $20 curl cream. And, at only 3 bucks it is super budget friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...