Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Hair Gel That Left Something Flaky Behind: Matrix Biolage Curl Defining Elixir

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone especially when it comes to tried-and-true hair products for curly hair. Well...I learned my lesson a week late. Here's what happened.

I recently I finished up a hair gel, John Masters Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel, and wanted to try something new. It's not like the product wasn't working for me, but it was a curiosity thing for me to see if there was something even better. I've had excellent luck with the Matrix Biolage line, so I thought I'd give one of their medium hold styling gels, Matrix Biolage Curl Defining Elixir,  a whirl. To be fair in assessing the product, I kept everything else in my hair routine "as is" except for the new gel.

After the first use, my hair felt a bit stickier than normal and I felt I had to scrunch my dry hair to remove that crunchy texture that us curly hair girls get from using too much (or the wrong) weight of product. I tried again several days later, but with less product. On the second use, I discovered the worst case of product buildup that I've seen in a long time. And with the third use, the buildup was downright disgusting. Had I not been in a hurry I would have rewashed my hair immediately.

In all honestly, the product may work fine for someone who only needs one styling product. However, I use a hair cocktail of several products — a leave-in conditioner, gel, and curling cream — to get the best results. I'm thinking that the Biolage gel was reacting negatively with one of my other products. After all, chemistry is at work in our products!

Needless to say, I'm running back immediately to John Masters Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel.

Purchase info: Matrix Biolage Curl Defining Elixir is available for purchase at select salons and mass retailers. It typically retails for $15.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...