Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday Scent-A-Rama: Dolce & Gabbana No. 3 L'Imperatrice

Is there such a thing as a true unisex scent? You know...a fragrance that is designed to be worn by both men and women that really fits the bill. Today's post is really my confession on falling for marketing hype at my neighborhood Ulta. Yes, even those who are marketers by day can be influenced by the power of advertisements, packaging, and clever store product placement.

So...here's the confession. Last December I was picking out a new fragrance to give my husband for Christmas. At the time, Dolce and Gabbana had introduced a new line of fragrances that were placed in the "men's" fragrance section. Since he enjoyed Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme (see previous post), I decided to find another one by the same brand. After 20 minutes of comparisons, I chose D& G No. 3 L'Imperatrice.

No. 3 is categorized in the floral and aquatic categories with the following notes:
  • Top Note: Pink Pepper, Kiwi, Rhubarb 
  • Middle Note: Watermelon, Cyclamen, Jasmine 
  • Base Note: Citrus Wood, Musks, Sandalwood
While my husband seemed pleased with the fragrance gift at the time, it's been nearly a year now and there hasn't been a dent of usage. I decided to poke around on the Internet to learn more about this fragrance. To my astonishment, nearly everyone is considering this a women's fragrance. Most are commenting about its fruity dry down that is reminiscent of those popular body mists of the 80s and 90s.

Gasp...what did I do to this poor, unsuspecting guy? It's true that I love my fruity fragrances, so I must have really chosen this one for me. And, you know, I enjoy wearing it in small doses. It's pretty strong, so I need to spray lightly or I get too much of a good thing. As I've started wearing it, I can't imagine it as a male fragrance. It's way too girly, girly.

The irony is that I recently gave him one of my fragrances, Bond No. 9 Wall Street, as I thought it was way too masculine for me. I guess we're even now.

Purchase info: Dolce & Gabbana No. 3 L'Imperatrice is available in most department stores, Ulta, and Sephora. Prices start at $65.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...