Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A "Thumbs Up" Reformulation of My Favorite Sunscreen: Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face & Body SPF 60 PA+++

In early 2010, I stomped, I cried, and then I got angry when Shiseido discontinued its Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face & Body SPF 55 PA+++. You see after years of searching for my perfect sunscreen, I finally had hit the motherlode with this product (see previous post). And I was too stubborn to give the newly reformulated product a fair try. I had read unfavorable reviews of the new version and even dabbed a small amount at my local Sephora. And I had convinced myself that nothing could replace the older formula.

But then my skin changed. During the spring, my combination skin decided that preferred its drier side. I suddenly needed to replace my cleanser and moisturizer in favor of richer formulas. About this time, I also experimented with other sunscreens, including the cream version of Shiseido SPF 55, since my old blue bottle was empty. Just when I thought a sunscreen was agreeing with my skin, I'd get those pesky dry flakes on my nose or chin. And I realized that the sunscreen was contributing to the problem.

The time had come for me to swallow my pride and give the new Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face & Body SPF 60 PA+++ a real try. And boy I'm glad I did!

The new version still has the features that I adored in the older product:
  • High SPF (it's now SPF 60 with 2.0% Ensulizole, 7.4% Octinoxate, 16.3% Zinc Oxide)
  • No irritating Avobenzone/Oxybenzone active ingredients
  • No visible white residue or shine
  • Extremely water and perspiration resistant (it's also listed as sand resistant)
  • Readily available at most department stores
But more important to me, it is now more hydrating and nourishing for my dry skin without being greasy. As I write this, I know that this benefit may be a negative point to other skin types since the older formula tended to control facial oil better than just about anything else. Even so, I still find that the product provides matifying properties simimlar to those found in primer products.

All in all, I'm giving the new formula two thumbs up. What about you?

Purchase info: Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face & Body SPF 60 PA+++ is available at most department stores and Sephora. It retails for $39.00 (3.7 oz bottle).

1 comment:

  1. and sadly they discontinued this one again...and the others they have are way less good and have less zinc oxide... I guess they want to people to put more sunblock often soo they can sell more

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...