Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Sunscreen, Clearer Skin: EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

Just when I find the "perfect" sunscreen, the manufacturer decides to change the formula and discontinue the old version. Yep...that is what happened to my beloved Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++. It has recently been reformulated to a SPF 60, which includes the addition of a new active ingredient Ensulizole 2.0% as well as some other changes. While I don't know all of the ingredient changes, I do know that my skin does not like it the new formula. It doesn't sink into the skin immediately as the old version did, and I'm left with a greasy residue several hours after application. Yuck. 

I mentioned my sunscreen dilemma to my dermatologist at my last visit. She recommended that I try one of the EltaMD products that were available at her office. While I am typically leery about buying products that are sold via dermatologists, I did decide to "play" with the testers before I left. And yes, I found something worthy of purchase in a sleek pump-style bottle.

EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 immediately caught my attention as it was oil free and marketed to those with sensitive and/or acne-prone skin. At the ingredient level, it contained the same active ingredients that were in my old sunscreen, albeit, the percentages were different: 9% Zinc Oxide and 7.5% Octinoxate. In addition, it boasted high-purity Niacinamide (vitamin B3), which is known for its calming and healing properties. I loved that it had an immediate dry down with nearly zero finish. While it didn't quite offer the matte finish of my old Shiseido, it did offer a very natural finish that wasn't shiny one bit. No powder required here! Plus, my skin was super soft and appeared clearer (is that possible?).

After several weeks of daily use, I'm quite pleased with the results. I find that it is a comparable match to my old Shiseido, although I haven't worn it to the beach or during an all-day event where I would get extra sun exposure. That's the true test!

Purchase info: EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 is sold primarily via physicians, although I did find it available online at DERMSTORE. It varies in prices. I paid $35.00 (1.7 oz bottle) at my doctor's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...