Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Best $10 Hair Investment: Mason Pearson Rake Comb

I've come to the conclusion that you shouldn't skimp on beauty tools.  You can definitely buy budget-friendly products (and I do), but do splurge a bit more when it comes to your hair and makeup brushes, hair appliances, etc. In the long run, they'll last so much longer and be more economical over time.

I recently re-learned this lesson when I replaced my hair comb. With my curly hair, I typically comb through conditioning and styling products in the shower and then never run a brush or comb to my hair until I wash it again. For those with straight hair, you probably think I'm nuts! However, to keep curly hair under control and minimize frizz, you need to keep your hands off your hair.

In the past, I'd been using a $4 plastic comb that I've had for several years. But the comb tips were losing their paint and super rough on the edges. I was afraid that I was damaging my hair with its continual use. So...on a whim at my local beauty salon, I purchased the Mason Pearson Rake Comb that was in clearance bin for $10. At the time, I felt like I was spending way too much for a comb, but I knew that the Mason Pearson company had a outstanding reputation for its hair brushes. In fact, the company has been in business since 1885!

The Rake Comb is handmade in Switzerland. It's 6 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide and is primarily for coarse or textured hair, for detangling and for combing through treatments. The comb is made from an acrylic resin called zyle. The reason for using this material is the ability to polish it to a smooth finish. According to the company, other combs, which are made from less expensive materials, cannot be polished down to a completely smooth surface. So, using a less expensive comb can damage the hair, because the surface of the teeth have barbs that can catch and pull the hair strand causing split ends and breakage.

After just a single use, I was wowed. And I didn't think a new comb would product such results. What I found was that the comb was able to easily pass through my wet hair, thereby allowing my conditioner to be more evenly distributed. The underside of my hair was significantly smoother and no product buildup (aka flakes). You see I originally thought my scalp was going through a dry spell, but I really was suffering from product buildup in certain spots because my super rich conditioner and styling products were not applied evenly. Lesson learned. This was the best $10 I spent!

Purchase info: Mason Pearson Rake Comb is available at high-end department stores and Beauty.com. It ranges in price from $22.00 to $28.00. I truly scored a bargain at $10.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...