Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reflection: Happy 1st Birthday Beauty through the Looking Glass

I completely spaced out last Friday and missed my Beauty through the Looking first birthday. I could blame this lapse on the distractions of my previous 187 posts or knowing that yesterday I would be spending most of my day in "everything beauty." You see I had booked a pedicure, haircut and color, as well as a mini-makeover at my local Trish counter. Everything was scheduled between 10:30 AM and 3:00 PM, and I was trying to figure out the day's logistics, which included a 25-mile drive from my second to third destination. Whew...sometimes you can get too much of a good thing and lose your mind.

In any case, I eventually remembered the big milestone, and I'm so excited to celebrate it with you!  As I look back on the past 365 days, there are so many beauty reflections that have changed me from the inside out. Rather than bore you with all of the details, I'll only share my top five. So here they go in no particular order...
  1. Experiment and play. The primary reason I started this blog was to get my hands into the beauty "toy box." I love, love, love trying new beauty items and this was a perfect opportunity to play and share my findings with you. I experimented with new brands, tried-n-true products, and do-it-yourself concoctions. There were great finds and flops. During this past year, some of my favorites were the unexpected ones that I totally fell into, including the Benefit Brow Bar at my local Ulta, Trish McEvoy brand, and Lip Clear Lysine+ Cold Sore Treatment. The point is that you need to get out of your product and brand rut and try something new. Hopefully, this blog will give you some new inspiration and help to steer you away from my duds.
  2. Don't accept dissatisfaction. I hate products that don't live up to their hype or mess up my skin, especially if they are recommended by a beauty expert. Before purchasing something new, I want to know the retailer's return policy so that I have a way out if something bad happens. This means I will pay more just to get the return "safety net." 
  3. Ask for help. This reflection corresponds to #2. If you are looking for something new outside of your beauty realm, ASK for help. Whether it be finding a new foundation formula, deep conditioner, or perfume, solicit the advice of those in the industry. For this to be successful, you'll need to seek out and find some trusted makeup and skincare professionals that you feel comfortable with. Frequent their counters often and ask for them by name. They'll get to know you and your preferences, and you will build a beautiful relationship (no pun intended). Conversely, if you feel uneasy with their recommendations or they are pressuring you hard to buy something you do not want, walk (no run) away! You can always go back later or find another store offering the same products.
  4. Embrace what you truly love. There are a handful of holy-grail products that I will buy over and over again, and I almost never deviate regardless of what I read or hear. While this reflection may seem to contradict #1, it really doesn't. If a product is totally working for you, by all means, don't mess with it. But on the flip side, if you don't love what you are using, find a replacement! Don't settle for second best.
  5. Always be kind to yourself. Remember, there is no miracle product or brand. Beauty and skincare items are meant to enhance your natural beauty so that you are empowered to be your best. Don't expect a product to take off 30 pounds or change your bra size. Ladies...it's not going to happen. Instead, work on those areas that you can realistically change. Last September I realized that I had packed on some extra pounds, and I wasn't happy about my look. In order to make a positive change that meant reexamining my exercise routines and eating habits so that I could lose the weight. While it's been a s-l-o-w process, I've dropped 20 pounds as of last week. And I'm jumping for joy! You see I'm choosing to celebrate rather than beat myself up for not losing more or getting there faster.  
If you've discovered something new this past year, I'd love to hear about your beauty reflection. Drop me a line in the comments box and share your story.

Here's to another year of Beauty through the Looking Glass! I look forward to sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...