Friday, March 19, 2010

Drugstore Genie in a Botte: CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM

It's very rare for a skincare product, especially the drugstore variety, to grant (and then deliver) three amazing wishes:
  1. Repair
  2. Restore
  3. Moisture
Believe it or not, wishes do come true thanks to a tip from the skincare board on MakeupAlley.com! And I'm so happy to share my genie in the bottle — CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM.

Due to drier winter weather and incorporating a Retin-A prescription into my routine, my face was shedding like a snake. To compensate for the lack of moisture and reduce the flakes, I started using very rich moisturizers which in turn were clogging my pores. Not pretty. I really needed a genie in the bottle for my face.

But with two weeks of daily use, CeraVe PM has completely transformed my skin. It is now radiant, flake free, and softer than a baby's bottom. And all without zero breakouts, clogged pores, or extra grease. I keep waiting for something bad to happen, but it only gets better with time! 

Why? According to the manufacturer, CeraVe PM helps repair damaged skin and maintain the skin's natural protective function with ingredients not commonly found in other moisturizers, including: 

  • Ceramides - Helps reduce lipid levels in damaged skin to repair, restore, and maintain the skin's natural barrier.  Essential in preventing water loss from the skin
  • Niacinamide - Helps the skin produce more natural ceramides and fatty acids essential for repairing and restoring the skin barrier. Also shown to reduce redness.
  • Hyaluronic Acid - An essential ingredient (humectant) that attracts water to the top layer of the skin and ensures that the skin remains hydrated.
I've used moisturizers containing both ceramides and hyaluronic acid, but nothing with niacinamide. In fact, this is the ingredient that distinguishes CeraVe PM from the regular CeraVe lotion. My guess is that this additional ingredient is what is currently helping my face. My dermatologist concurs.

While it is designed for nighttime use, you can definitely use during the day, as well. However, I do recommend trying it out with your sunscreen and foundation to make sure it plays nicely. Right now I'm sticking with a different moisturizer during the day as it provides a smoother application of my foundation.

One more positive...CeraVe PM is packaged smartly with an easy-to-close pump that doesn't leak or distribute an excess gob of product. I prefer this pump-style packaging as it prevents germs from transferring from your hands to an open container, such as a jar or tub.

Purchase info: CeraVe PM is available at many drugstores and mass retailers, although I'm finding that it is temporarily unavailable in some places due to its popularity. It retails for $13.00 for a 3 oz. bottle.

Update (April 1, 2010): I've had to discontinue using CeraVe PM. After nearly three weeks of daily use, it started to clog my pores and sting upon application. Once I stopped using the product, my skin was much happier!

3 comments:

  1. CeraVe PM does not clog your pores. It's non-comedogenic, non-irritating and fragrance-free. It's also recommended by dermatologists who would never endorse a product that clogs pores. It has to be another product that you're using...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, thanks for your comment and input about the product. I understand that many people have had great success with CeraVE PM, but unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. I follow the forums on MakeupAlley.com and others have experienced similar issues to mine. Just because a product is recommended by a dermatologist does not mean it will problem free for everyone. It's all about trial and error, especially if you have sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it does clog pores. The tow ingredients Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol according to zerozits.com gets a VERY bad rating. also, check Skindeep Database. Yes it has some *good* stuff but the bad stuff is pretty bad. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...