Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beauty Reflection: Moving Beyond Brushes

I have a serious, over-the-top makeup brush collection that fills three large cups in my bathroom drawer. It's pretty crazy, and I know it drives my husband bonkers especially on brush cleaning day when I take over the entire counter top to let them air dry.

But recently my brushes are not my go-to tools for everyday makeup application. Quite frankly...I been relying more on some other key tools. And the good news is that they are VERY inexpensive if not free!

Here is my short list of essential non-brush tools:
  1. Q-tips: These guys are ideal for cleaning up eyeshadow or liner in the under-eye area. I dip one in makeup remover and go to town. Because I apply my eye makeup first, I can do a serious cleanup without worrying about taking off foundation or concealer.
  2. Sponges: The perfect cleaner-upper (is that a word?) for foundation. After applying my liquid foundation with a brush, I always use a sponge to go over and remove unwanted streaks or even out areas that I missed or went overboard on.
  3. Disposable mascara wands: This is your freebie tool of the day! When testing mascara at the makeup counter, the makeup artists always give you a disposable wand for application. Instead of tossing the wand into the trash bin when I'm done, I'll ask for some makeup remover or alcohol to clean it off and then take it with me. At home, I'll use the wand to brush my brows after applying product or to separate lashes after putting on my mascara. Simply brilliant.
  4. Powder puff: One of my new best tools is an oversize velour powder puff about 3 to 3.5 inches in diameter. It is pure genius for buffing out powder and removing excess. I always use one to gently "go over" my face after applying all my makeup. They're also very easy to clean and will last a very long time if cared for gently! Trish McEvoy and Laura Mercier puffs are my favorites. You can pick one up for less than $15.
  5. Fingers: The ultimate free makeup applicator. I don't like getting my fingers dirty, but I'm finding that they can be the best tools for pressing in under-eye concealer, blending foundation, and applying eye shadow. Don't neglect what mother nature gave you!
Did I miss anything? Drop me a line in the comment box and share your non-brush favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...