Monday, February 1, 2010

Cystic Blemishes Be Gone: Band-Aid + Polysporin

 
Big blemishes happen. And it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 35, an ugly red zip will make any woman want to go into hiding until it disappears. Lately, I've had a few stubborn outbreaks of the big stubborn cystic type of acne. I blame this type of blemish on hormones and stress, especially since the problem occurs on my jawline and upper neck area. 

To make matters worse, I often self-medicate the problem with way too many drying products. The end result: raw flaky, swollen skin that doesn't want to heal. What's a girl to do? 

Lately, I've been trying a new night-time trick to banishing these cystic buggers when they have made their ugly appearance. At night, I will apply a small dab of Polysporin directly on the blemish to help prevent an infection and then top off with a small Band-Aid (preferably the round spot type of bandage). I'll then leave the Band-Aid on overnight and remove in the morning.I find that covering the sore area will prevent me from accidentally scratching it during the night. It will also protect the sore area from other irritants such as your pillow case or bed linens.

When I remove the bandage in the morning, the swelling usually has decreased significantly and most of the redness is gone. Now I can conceal easily with just a tad of makeup. While this is NOT a treatment for all-over acne, it is a great solution for speeding the healing of those big cystic-type pimples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...