Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January Mini Resolution: Conquer Thy Cuticles!

Big New Year's resolutions tend to scare me. Instead, I prefer to set mini resolutions that are more achievable -- and more important, maintainable. This year I plan to tackle a mini beauty resolution each month. And even though we're almost half way through January, I wanted to share my January mini resolution and give a progress report.

My obsessive hand washing and naturally dry hands seem to get the best of me. It really doesn't matter what time of the year it is, I'm always dealing with rough, dehydrated cuticles. And while I can slather on the richest hand cream, it is really only a temporary band-aid.

This month I'm following a new routine to see if I can get a grip on the issue. My routine includes the following:

1. Stop Trimming and Picking, Manage the Overgrowth
In the past when I experienced a torn cuticle or hang nail, I usually snipped it clean with regular nail clippers or cuticle trimmers. But I really didn't get to the source of the real problem...too much overgrowth. Instead, I'm now using Be Natural Cuticle Eliminator, a cuticle remover product, twice a week to remove the build up of excessive cuticle skin. Be Natural Cuticle Eliminator is very gentle and it does the trick in less than a minute. I simply apply the product and wait approximately 45 seconds (a bit longer for excessive growth). Then, I'll push back my cuticles with an orange wood stick and rinse off my hands. (Prices start at approximately $8.75. It is available at select beauty supply stores and nail salons, as well as Amazon.com.)

2. Hydrate and Condition
Each night I am also diligently applying Creative Nail SolarOil to help condition my cuticles and nails. It is the 20+ year-old product that every nail expert swears by. However, I must have missed the memo as I had never heard about the product until I went searching for a nail-specific oil at my local beauty supply store. (Prices are all over the board for this product. I paid approximately $7.00. You can find it at many retail establishments, including Amazon.com. Shop around for best prices.)

3. Protect
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Hand Creme (see previous post). It is like a protective barricade that guards against the outside elements. I feel it works best when paired with a rich moisturizing creme and/or SolarOil. (It retails for approximately $5.50 at most drug and mass retailers.)

It's been nearly two weeks now and my cuticles are on the road to recovery! If I'm diligent with the above steps, I should see even more improvements. I'll keep you posted.

In the mean time, what do you do to keep your cuticles in top shape? Drop me a line in the comments box. I'd love to hear your secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...