Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Ongoing Hunt for a Leave-In Conditioner: Giovanni Direct Leave-In & Eufora Hydration Leave-In

In August, I shared my frustrations about the discontinuation of my favorite leave-in conditioner, Kiehl's Leave-In Conditioner (see previous post). So...I started looking for alternatives to replace this beloved product.

You'll remember that the first product I tried was Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-in Conditioning Cream (see previous post). While it was super affordable, the product really stunk.

Next, I started rotating two different leave-ins for several weeks to see how they compared. Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner is a drug store product that was frequently recommended by the curly-haired ladies on MakeupAlley. And Eufora Hydration Leave-in Conditioner is a salon-only product that was suggested by my own hair stylist. Here are my thoughts about the two products:

Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner
Pros:
  • Widely available at most drug stores and beauty supply stores.
  • Very affordable. It retails for less than $8.00 for an 8.5 oz bottle.
  • Works well with other products (e.g., conditioners, styling aids, etc.).
  • No residue or build up due to its light gel formula.
Cons:
  • The shape of the bottle. It's a challenge to neatly dispense the product. I often accidentally spilled a teaspoon or so in my shower. 
  • Unable to determine the right amount of product to use. I kept adjusting the size of dollop, but just couldn't find the proper amount for my hair.
  • Second-day hair seemed dull and dry.
  • Long-term use (more than a week) made my hair dryer. I ended up having to apply treatment conditioners more frequently.
Eufora Hydration Leave-In Conditioner
Pros:
  • Consistency (thickness) was much closer to Kiehl's.
  • Pump bottle made it easy to dispense product.
  • Works well with other products (e.g., conditioners, styling aids, etc.).
  • Refreshing minty scent that is similar to other Eufora products.
Cons:
  • Price is higher than Giovanni ($23.00 for 10 oz bottle), but you do get more product for your money than Kiehl's.
  • May be more difficult to find outside of Southern California. Eufora is manufactured several miles from my house so salons in our area tend to carry it more frequently than in other regions.
  • As with Giovanni, second-day hair was dull and dry. 
Bottom Line: I'm not really sold on either product. In fact, I had better results by not using a leave-in product altogether. Instead, I reached for Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak and used it every time I washed my hair rather than once a week. My hair responded well to the extra boost of moisture, especially on second-day hair. For now, I'm postponing my quest for a new leave-in. It's one less product that I have to worry about!

What about you? Have you found a good replacement? If yes, drop me a line in the comment box.

Editor's Update (July 27, 2011): Even though I wrote this post nearly 2 1/2 years ago, it is one of the most-viewed ones that I still get asked about. The good news is that I did find a replacement leave-in conditioner — John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler. Read more about my new leave-in!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I read your post and just purchased John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler. I too, was bummed when I found out Kiehl's Leave-In Conditioner was discontinued. Hopefully the one you recommended will work on my frizzy out of control mane. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...