Monday, October 26, 2009

My $20 Target Challenge: A Creme Blush, a Leave-in Conditioner, and a Lip Smacker

This past weekend I was having a moment of weakness as I was selecting Halloween candy at Target. In order to prevent myself from ripping open the jumbo bag of chocolate bars right inside the store, I gave myself a new distraction. Find a few new drugstore goodies, but spend no more than $20 (excluding tax). I accepted the challenge and came in slightly over at $21.97. Here are the three items that I purchased:


Sonia Kashuk Crème Blush (Blossom shade, far right in photo): This is a buttery soft blush in an opaque petal pink shade. It is very light in color and next to impossible to overdo unless you are extremely fair. I put on several layers and it was very forgiving in its application. It would be perfect for a young teen! As such, I also found that it didn't have much staying power after an hour or so. I would have loved trying the other shades before purchasing, but alas, this is the ongoing challenge in buying drugstore makeup. Personally, I'll pay a little more if I can try on a color and let it sink into my skin before purchasing. (The blush retails for $9.99.)


Giovanni Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner: I'm still trying to find a replacement leave-in conditioner for my beloved (and now discontinued) Kiehl's Leave-In (see previous post). The ladies on MakeupAlley have frequently suggested this Giovanni product, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I've only used it once, so I'll need to try a couple more times before providing a full review. My initial response...not bad. It is light weight in texture with no film or greasiness, provides extra shine and softness, and plays nicely with my styling products. Stay tuned! (The leave-in conditioner retails for $7.99.)

 
Bonne Bell Biggy Lip Smacker (Dr. Pepper flavor): This impulse purchase was solely for a return to my youth when I had Lip Smackers in at least 10 different flavors. It probably was one of my first makeup purchases that I made with my own money. I was reminded of this quirky product while listening to the latest episode of the Lipgloss and Laptops podcast. Oh what fun again! The Dr. Pepper flavor is exactly like I remembered providing just a tad of cherry color to my lips. Surprisingly, the color and shine lasted for several hours. And yes, I had to splurge for the limited edition Biggie size. I couldn't resist. (The Lip Smacker retails for $3.99.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...