Friday, September 4, 2009

A Costco Stink: Carol's Daughter Ocean Shea Butter Body Lotion

Costco can be your beauty friend or foe. I've randomly found Bobbi Brown brushes, L'Occitane shea butter products, and MAC eye shadows that have been incredible steals. And then I've wasted my cash on some real stinkers, including my recent purchase of Carol's Daughter Ocean Shea Body Lotion.

I'll preface that I normally don't buy scented lotions. My own warped theory is that the scented ingredients tend to be drying in lotions or creams. While I can't back this idea up with scientific proof, I don't usually give in unless I've tested the item first.

Back to my Costco story...as I was picking up some tooth paste, I stumbled upon the Ocean Shea Body Lotion. I know that Carol's Daughter produces some wildly successful cult products, so I added one to my cart. It was only $8 (normally retailing for $20) -- what do I have to lose?

After I managed to get the ridiculous plastic Costco pack open, I smelled the lotion. Hmm...it didn't smell anything like the ocean to me. In fact, it reminded me of a cheap body powder that my grandma used in the 80s. Yet, according to the bottle it was described as a unique combination of freshness and sensuality that begins with a medley of wet cucumber, juicy watermelon, followed by a heady floral bouquet that deepens into a foundation of velvety sweet musk. Well...I may not have the best nose for picking up fragrance notes, but this stuff smelled nothing like the description. And when I applied it to the body, it only got worse. I actually tried it before going to the gym and I was quite nauseated throughout my entire workout.

As for its moisturizing properties, it was on the lighter side but I didn't have to apply in a couple of hours like I do with other products. I tend to prefer a richer lotion, so I don't think I would continue to use it after the summer months when I can get away with a lighter formula.

Bottom line...beware of unplanned Costco beauty purchases. While at first glance they may appear as a great deal, they could morph into a real stink bomb.

A side note: It looks like the Ocean scent has been discontinued from the line. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe next time, I'll try the unscented version!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...