Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Classic Accessory for Any Season: The Headband

For the past two years, I've fallen head over heels for headbands. They are my go-to accessory when I need a little oomph to my style. And they go with almost every outfit regardless of your hair length or texture.

But not all headbands are created equal. Through trial and error, I've found that I only can tolerate wearing the soft elastic band type that wrap completely underneath my hair (see photo). These are super comfy, remain secure, and do not give me a headband ache after several hours of use. In fact, I can wear them all day without any issues.

If you haven't worn one of today's modern headband, here are several reasons why you might want to add a few to your accessory stash:
  • Headbands help camouflage a much-needed root touch-up or bad haircut. Or, a sunburn to your part. Ouch!
  • Headbands keep you cooler on a warm summer (or fall) day. In doing so, you allow your skin to breathe by gently lifting your hair off your face.
  • Headbands enable you to transition from the awkward bangs to no-bangs style. I'm sure you remember this ugly hair stage when nothing looks right.
  • Headbands add instant style. I've found that a headband can easily dress up an outfit with a "challenging" neckline or take you from a day to an evening look.
  • Headbands are affordable. You don't have to fork over tons of cash to get some simple, yet contemporary, accessories. I've found some of my favorite headbands (ranging from $5 to $35) at Gap, Target, Nordstrom, and Anthropologie. That's cheaper than most cashmere scarves or handbags!
Purchase info: Need a good starting point? Consider the Anthropologie.com example shown in the photo above. This beauty (Sweet Clover Headband) retails for $32.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...