Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tried-n-True Tuesdays: La Mer The Powder

Loose finishing powder is one of those beauty items that I neglected to use for years. Of course, I experimented with multiple brands, both drug store and high end, and various shades. But nothing seemed to play nicely with my skin. I either broke out, dried out, or turned a miserable shade of ashy pale. Nevertheless, I knew that it was essential for setting my makeup and helping to keep the t-zone oilies at bay. Thus, my powder quest began.

After reading countless product reviews and forum postings on Makeupalley.com, I took the plunge last January and purchased La Mer The Powder -- the "Mercedes Benz" of all powders. And, I'm truly in love with this product. It's finely milled with extra light particles that seem to bond instantaneously with my skin without much application effort. I chose the Cream shade, which has just a hint of color. I initially thought that the Translucent shade would be a better option, but after trying it I felt Translucent was too dewy on my skin. Cream didn't have the shimmer qualities and it matched my complexion perfectly.

To apply, I tap a small amount into the jar lid and swirl with my Trish McEvoy #5 powder brush. Then, I lightly dust the powder across my t-zone area and blend with the fluffy powder puff that came with the powder. Using this application method, I found that the powder keeps my face balanced and well hydrated all day regardless of the season. (By the way...this is the last step in my makeup routine after I apply blush and concealer.)

The only drawback to the product...its big clunky glass jar. While you get tons of product for your money, the heavy jar takes up extra space and is impossible for travel. A Neiman Marcus sales associate recommended a mini powder container from shu uemura, which is ideal for transferring small amounts of the powder. Problem solved.

Purchase info: La Mer the Powder retails for $65 (.88 oz jar). It is available in four shades: Translucent, Cream, Neutral, and Beige. You can purchase The Powder at Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, and other high-end department stores, as well as LaMer.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...