Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tried-n-True Tuesdays: La Mer The Eye Concentrate

Right before my big milestone birthday last year (no...I'm not disclosing the year), I finally admitted I needed to incorporate eye cream into my daily beauty routine. For years, makeup and skincare gurus have pushed this item on me and I resisted. And it's not because I don't love products. The problem was that my under-eye area always appears oily and my eye makeup (concealer, eyeliner, mascara, etc.) usually slides down my cheek several hours later. In my mind, extra moisture was the last thing that I needed. But after countless individuals telling me this this area was super dehydrated, I decided to give eye creams a whirl. In fact, maybe they could diminish the dark circles, too!

I tried various drug store and department store products for several months. Just when I thought I had a winner, I would break out or have some other type of negative result. During my experimentation, I recalled reading a blog posting on The Beauty of Life. It featured two "miracle" eye products.

I chose the high-end product, La Mer The Eye Concentrate, which is designed to reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, lines, and wrinkles. According to La Mer, this concentrated, ultra-luxe eye treatment quenches and conditions impressionable skin. The Eye Concentrate is infused with three unique forms of La Mer's patented Miracle Broth. Known for its healing energies, the Miracle Broth infuses skin with the energy it needs to focus on renewal. The product works in tandem with a specially engineered, silver-tipped applicator, which helps cool the skin, immediately improving micro-circulation. So what does this really mean?

For me, I loved its formula. The Eye Concentrate is creamy at first touch, but then more similar in consistency to a soothing gel after it is absorbed into the skin. I apply a small amount (less than a split pea size drop) to my finger and gently pat. Then, I use the metal applicator to glide along the eye area to speed its absorption. Using this technique, I find there is no greasy residue that will interfere with your eye makeup.

Even in the first month of use, I was amazed how balanced my undereye area was. Once again, I could apply mascara to my lower lashes and under-eye concealer. Both products would stay in place all day. While I cannot speak to fewer lines or wrinkles, my dark circles seemed less noticeable and there were fewer eye puffs. The true test was when I ran out of product on my vacation. I ended up getting a sample of the Kiehl's Abyssine Eye Cream. But it really wasn't the same.

Now after nine months of near continual use, I can honestly say that the The Eye Concentrate is my secret weapon for balancing the dry and oily spots underneath my eyes and diminishing my dark circles.

Purchase info: La Mer The Eye Concentrate retails for $165 for a .5 oz tub. It is available at department store La Mer counters (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc.), as well as on the La Mer Web site. In my experience, a tub will last approximately 7-8 months with twice daily application.

Buyer's tip: Because this is an uber-luxury item, I highly recommend getting a sample (a 7-day supply or so) before you buy. If you can't get your hands on a sample, I only would purchase your first tub from a retailer who will allow you to return the product if you have any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...