Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Not a Keeper: Living proof Wave Shaping Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Cream (Med. to Thick Hair)

Yesterday was one of our most humid summer days and my hair let me know it. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to try out a deluxe sample of Living proof Wave Shaping Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Cream for Medium to Thick Hair. No joke...that's the full product name. This new brand has been talked up heavily throughout the spring with many write ups and reviews in everything from O Magazine to Allure to The Today Show.

According to Living proof, the product is a velvety lotion that is created to eliminate frizz and provide a touch of conditioning and hold - yet doesn't leave hair feeling greasy or heavy. It also contains a lightweight touchable holding polymer to give your waves and curls a touch of added definition. Perfect, that's exactly what I need!

Well...I experienced something else altogether. Last night I applied the product to clean towel-dried hair that had been lightly coated with my favorite leave-in conditioner. And, I kept applying product per the detailed instructions on the company's Web site. Because I have long hair, I used every drop of my big sample. Next, I let my hair air dry in a loose bun while I slept. This is my normal routine.

When I woke up this AM, I undid the bun and let my curls finish the drying process. I know it's humid when my hair is still damp 10 hours later! Once my hair was completely dry I took a good look at my locks in the mirror. Here's what I saw:
  • A dry, straw-like texture similar to what I've experienced when I've used a clarifying shampoo
  • Dullness with an odd matte consistency
  • Zero curl definition...my hair was significantly straighter
While I have to say that I didn't have any frizz, my hair appeared very damaged. I don't know if there was some type of chemical reaction with my leave-in conditioner, but the online video said that it was perfectly fine to use in combination with your leave-in. Or maybe I needed a different formula. The company offers six different options. I usually find creams work better than sprays or gels, but perhaps I need to experiment more with the other products in the line. Last but not least, I did not try using it in combination with a heat appliance. Maybe there's something magic that happens after using heat. Who knows?

Let's just say that I'm not sold. I'm so thankful that I had a sample and didn't waste my cash on this product. What about you? If you've had a great experience, I'd love to hear your story!

Product info: Living proof Wave Shaping Curl Defining No Frizz Styling Cream for Medium to Thick Hair is available exclusively at Sephora and Livingproof.com. It retails for $24 for a 4 oz. bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...