Thursday, July 23, 2009

5 Tips to Summer-Proof Your Makeup

Whether you are on summer vacation or going about your daily activities, you want your makeup to stay put all day. Nothing is worse than to discover that your eyeliner is smeared down your cheek or your foundation has disappeared altogether!

Here are 5 easy tips to help keep your makeup fresh all summer long:

1. Begin with a matte sunscreen canvas before applying foundation. If your sunscreen is super rich and greasy, you're starting off on the wrong foot. Your face will appear oily and your more apt to apply unnecessary layers of powder to help counterbalance the shine. My favorite sunscreen, Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 (see earlier post), is the best sunscreen base I've found to date. In addition to being an effective sunscreen, it acts as a matte primer to help keep the summer oilies at bay.

2. Choose a lighter formula foundation or tinted moisturizer. When it's hot outside, the last thing you want to do is apply a heavy foundation. A mineral powder foundation, such as Jane Iredale's PurePressed Mineral Powder or Amazing Base Loose Mineral Powder, or a water-based liquid foundation works best for me.

3. Apply an eye makeup primer on your eye lids. This is one of my best tricks to keep eye shadow crease-proof all day. For a smooth application, I apply a pea-sized dot to the back of my hand and then use a small flat eyeshadow brush to apply to the ball of the eyelid and then extend upward and outward from lash line to eyebrow. I prefer a slight matte pink/peach shade to cover up the small imperfections on my lid and help combat any discoloration. My current favorite is Trish McEvoy Eye Base Essentials in Bare. Other popular primers include Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion. Once I've applied my primer, my eye shadow tends to blend easier and stay on longer.

4. Skip the eyeliner on your lower lids. This summer I have been experimenting with going bare on my lower lids. (Read my earlier post for details.) I've found that I have zero smudges and my under eye area appears brighter.

5. Finish with a quick dusting of loose powder if you use liquid foundation. The trick to this final step is to apply evenly and very sparingly to avoid any caking. I prefer to use a fluffy powder puff for the lightest application. And be sure to pick a light powder that is specifically intended to be a finishing powder, not a foundation powder. My holy grail finishing powder is La Mer The Powder in Crème. It is the lightest powder on earth and perfectly matches my skin color. While it is pricey, a jar of it will last forever.

Once last thought...if you do experience mid-day oilies, resist the urge to add more powder. It will just get cakey and make matters worse. You will get better results by blotting away the oil. I always try to keep some inexpensive blotting tissues, such as Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets, in my purse for this very purpose. If I'm caught unprepared, I've been known to use a Starbuck napkin or a disposable toilet seat cover (clean, of course). They both work great and are free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...