Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tried-n-True Tuesdays: The Microfiber Towel

I'll admit that this is probably one of my most unusual blog posts. But if you have curly hair (like I do), you've probably gone to extreme lengths to find solutions to the biggest hair challenge. And yes, I'm talking about frizz here.

Almost three years ago, I stumbled upon a North American customer forum on the Lush Web site. Buried in hundreds of postings within the "Other Companies You Love" section, I kept reading how women were using microfiber towels to help combat their frizz. They were mentioning hair techniques such as plopping, plunking, and scrunching that involved using these special towels. Curiosity got the best of me, so I started my own research to find out what all of the buzz was about.

I soon discovered the most amazing, and affordable, hair tool for curly locks...the microfiber towel. Unlike terrycloth towels, microfiber towels enable water to be drawn from the hair more quickly while protecting your curls. To perfect my own microfiber towel technique, I watched two short videos on the Jessicurl Web site, one on the microfiber towel and the other on plunking. What is plunking? Plunking (also called plopping) is special technique where you wrap the towel around your head for 20 minutes or so to help absorb the water and enhance the curl pattern. I highly recommend that you watch these videos to better understand (and see) the technique.

My own routine: I plunk my hair for at least 30 minutes after I apply my styling products and leave-in conditioner. If I'm going to bed, I'll twist my hair up in a loose bun with an old scrunchy. Then, in the morning, I'll take off the scrunchy and let my hair continue to dry naturally if it is still damp.

If I've showered in the morning or afternoon, I'll forgo the scrunchy and just let the curls do their own thing. However, I WILL NOT touch my hair or apply additional hair products (hair spray, etc.) as this will disturb the spiral curl pattern and bring on the frizz. I may choose to wear a loose cloth headband as this reminds me not to touch my hair and helps keep my face and neck dry while my hair continues to dry naturally.

Purchase info: The best part about microfiber towels is that they are readily available. You can find them in the auto parts section of Target or Walmart, at beauty supply stores, and more. I've experimented with different ones and I prefer the Jessicurl plunking towel. It's the perfect size (24" x 32") and very durable. I own two that I rotate during the week. The plunking towel retails for $15 and is available on the Jessicurl Web site.

Tip: Don't forgot to pack your microfiber towel when you travel. I fold mine and insert it into a gallon-size Ziplock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...