Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Glance: La Mer the SPF 30 UV Protecting Fluid

Sunscreen is your best beauty anti-aging product. Period. Nevertheless, it can cause a slew of problems if you have any sensitivity to its active (or even inactive) ingredients. For years, I've struggled to find the "right" sunscreen for me. It's been extremely difficult as my skin type changes during the year from dry in the winter months to combination (and on the verge of oily) in the summer. I've had to avoid anything that creates an oil slick on my face, leaves dry patches, or provokes breakouts. Now that's a true challenge for any product!

Last fall, I finally discovered Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++. And it was a godsend. (I'll review this product in another post). But as a true beauty addict, I must try the latest and greatest on the market today. Recently, I've fallen head over heels for La Mer skin care products, so I thought I'd try out the company's new sunscreen La Mer The SPF 30 UV Protecting Fluid to see how it compares.

What it is: Designed for daily use, this high-powered treatment utilizes a unique sunscreen blend to provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection while keeping skin soft, comfortable, and hydrated.

How to use it: After moisturizing, shake bottle and apply a small amount onto fingertips and smooth all over face and neck. For the ultimate results, use in the daytime over Crème de la Mer to help makeup stay smooth and flawless.

My opinion: After my first week of usage, I'm seeing quite a few similarities to my favorite Shiseido sunscreen. The La Mer sunscreen is very sheer and blends quite well into the skin without leaving any white residue or extra oil. Its matte finish creates a great canvas for applying makeup. Think skin primer. While it is not designed for a day at the beach, it is perfect for everyday use. I'll keep using for another week to see if I'm breakout and sunburn free. Two weeks is usually a good test for me. The only draw back is its price. When you compare the price per ounce, the Shiseido is $11.50 vs. $46.00 for the La Mer. Is it worth the extra money? We'll see.

Purchase info: La Mer The SPF 30 UV Protecting Fluid retails for $65.00 (1.7 fl. oz). It is available at La Mer counters at Neiman Marcus, Saks, and select Nordstrom counters. The product is also available on the La
Mer Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...